Friday, May 18, 2007

Self Injury

Recently I was doing a research on self-injury. I gotta look through the self-injury forum, read post by post, page by page, to see what they talked about in the forum, to see the member prevalence... And this is so frustrating... I couldn't imagine when I can finish this research, it looked so easy but when I started, everything is a mess, I need to do it over and over again due to some miscommunication among our research group member..

The posts are all almost the same thing, "I've been cutting myself", "I'm so triggered", "I couldn't control the urge", mainly all the members came to the forum when they were so triggered to cut themself to get some support from the other members.

Some of them share their stories, ya....I couldn't imagine it was actually happened in real life. They were too tragedic and dramatic. It's just something beyond my world.

Some of them came to give moral support for those who are triggered. "Stay strong!", "take care", "PM me when you need someone to talk". Most of them self-cut and give support at the same time. When someone is triggered, they try to distract him/her from the urge by posting or ask him/her to make him/herself occupied.

And some of them express their feeling and most of the posts are fulled of "f***" words, which I didn't feel comfortable earlier, and now I kinda get used to it, but still I hate the word. Never ever say the word in front of me k?

I kinda sympathized them as they are suffering from this self cut habit. Some of them self cut because they have some mental disorders, but some of them just cut for nothing... So I think I am the lucky one as I do not suffer as they do, or maybe I've much higher tolerance than them... I've never thought of self cut when I have low mood...

Actually all these things must be kept private and confidential but I did not disclose any of their personal details... so I think it would be fine. But if they know that we are doing a research on them, I wonder how they think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmm, angie always used this phrase "mind over body"...i guess it works here. As long as ur mind is strong enuff to control ur body, i guess u wont lose to the urge...mayb their mind is juz not strong enuff...I guess I wouldn't know how to handle such situations also...sigh~