Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Chinese Educated

I don’t understand, what’s wrong of being Chinese educated? One of our lecturers pointed out those who are Chinese educated in the class. I not sure why he did that because I wasn’t in that group. I heard this from someone else and I think it is insulting. Is it that those who are Chinese educated are labeled that having poor English?

I was chatting happily with my friend in Chinese in the hospital area. The same lecturer walked by us and asked us, “What language are you speaking? IMU is an English speaking campus.” I was quite embarrassed at that time when he said that. However, later I thought it over again and felt that I was not violating any school rules by speaking Chinese in hospital area. Yes, I know IMU is an English speaking campus. SO WHAT? I was in hospital area, and I was only chatting with my friend without any other races with us. I understand Dr. Xavier told us that it is better to speak English when different races are around as this shows respect.

Had a conversation with my batch mates after a badminton session. All of them are Malay educated Chinese except me. They are quite regret that they as Chinese, do not know how to read and write Chinese. One of them said that she would send her child to Chinese school but then she said she doesn’t want her child to be too ‘Chinese’. Again, what’s wrong of being too ‘Chinese’?

I am proud to be a Chinese. As a Chinese, I know how to read and write in my mother tongue well. I listen to Chinese songs, read Chinese newspaper, listen to Chinese radio and watch Chinese shows. I know how to read the menu which is written in Chinese. Still, I am studying medicine using English language. I won’t say I have super duper good English, but my English is improving after I entered med school. And who said that those who are Chinese educated have poor English? Many of my friends have very good English even though they are Chinese educated.

It’s not wrong to be Chinese educated and don’t be ashamed of that. Don’t think that you are more superior if you are English educated. Chinese is the second most commonly used language in the world following English. By powering these two languages, my working opportunities are much more. In Malaysia, people who know both languages are not appreciated as there are a bunch of us here. But in China, a person who knows both languages well can earn as much as USD5000 per month by working as an auditor.

I know a lot of my friends who are not Chinese educated quite regret that not having a chance to learn Chinese. This is forgivable. But for those who think that Chinese educated are more inferior, please be ashamed of yourself! Imagine the situation that, a foreigner who is learning Chinese, asking you to teach him/her, and you told him/her, “Oh sorry, I don’t know how to read Chinese!” I hope his/her response would be, “How could it be? As a Chinese, you don’t know how to read Chinese? It is just similar that as an English, but you don’t know how to read English.” Yes, this is embarrassing. Haha!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wei, finally update ur blog after so long. heheh. was really glad to meet up with you that day. will conquer malacca again with u soon!

and speaking abt chinese ed... hey look at me, I was sent to malacca bcoz I speak and write mandarin. enough said.

:)

^eny@^ said...

ya..me too..really happy that meeting with u that day, next time can come and visit me more often since u noe where i stay in s'ban now..haha

really looking forward to go to melaka with u... i got a lot of things to buy there!!!

jyc said...

Hey byan, only noticed that u update ur blog when u update sky blog. Knowing how to speak our mother tongue is a responsibility that we are born to bear to justify our appearance and our blood. I should think Chinese who couldn't speak mandarin should take initiative to learn their mother tongue, and not blame it to their parents or environment. I felt weird too in Aussie, when Chinese always speaks English first to each other and usually never confirmed whether the other speaks the same mother tongue. What is it to be ashamed of? Probably speaking mandarin in front of a bunch of english speaking people is rude becoz they are present and couldn't understand. But there's no wrong to speak to the language that you are comfortable of to each other. Next time you should try speaking Japanese and Korean, and see whether that senior/lecturer would complaint that you don't speak English or not. And becoz i know mandarin, I helped translating for a Chinese patient in ED. There was a chinese doctor in ED, but don't know why she didn't help out. Guess she's probably just know some dialect. Chinese rules!!! haha. and other thing, I like Malacca too!!

Anonymous said...

ya..jinyu..totally agree what u said...i am so proud that i noe chinese..

p/s: i really miss our time in malacca too...

Anonymous said...

Cheerz to chinese educated people. Bcoz I'm chinese educated as well, bwahahahahah. Ywei had a similar post last year too. Screw those bananas who look down on us (no offense, heehee).